- Home Learning»
- Find old Learning Menus for past weeks here.»
- The Hare and the Tortoise - Story Telling»
The Hare and the Tortoise - Story Telling
I hope that you found the story videos of the hare and the tortoise useful. At school, we use a mixture of storytelling, story maps and actions to support the learning of new stories. We know that the more stories the children know by heart the easier it will be for them to rewrite stories and indeed create their own versions of stories. It supports their ability to say a sentence and write a sentence, structure a short narrative and use a variety of sentence openers like 'Meanwhile', 'Unfortunately' and 'So' etc. The script for this version of the story is also on the website.
Here are some ideas of how you can use the videos and script at home to help your child learn this story;
1) Watch the videos each day.
2) Press pause at different points and ask your child to tell the next part of the story.
3) Draw your own story maps at home and use them to help your story telling.
4)Turn the volume off - you be the story tellers, not me!
5) Use your facetime/zoom calls with family members for your child to tell the story - can they use some of the actions?
6) Play story telling tennis - you say a sentence from the story and your child says the next, keep going until you get to the end.
7) You start a sentence and ask your child to finish it.
By using fun games like this every day, you will be surprised at how quickly your child becomes a story telling expert.
The home learning menus will continue to support you and your child use aspects of this story to improve sentence level writing and narrative level writing.
Thank you for your time and commitment,
The Year 1 and 2 Teaching and Learning Teams